Friday, July 17, 2015

Presenting at ILA on TRANSMEDIA

I'm heading to St. Louis for the International Literacy Convention this weekend. Formerly the International Reading Association, this big organization has also moved its annual conference from May to July, so it will be interesting to see the difference. I'm looking forward to seeing friends and presenting alongside Janet Wong, Rose Brock, and Cynthia Alaniz. Originally, Mary Lee Hahn was also supposed to present with us, but she needs to be with her mom-- which we understand completely. We'll miss her!

Our talk is on "transmedia" and how we can use all kinds of media alongside books in print to build literacy (Saturday, July 18, 3-4pm America's Center room 106). We'll be talking about social media, audiobooks, apps, ebooks, videos, games, cards, and more. Very cutting edge! And of course, we'll weave POETRY throughout all this too-- with poetry apps, ebooks, videos, games, etc. Here are just a few nuggets with a sneak preview from my part of our session.



Speaking of new media, Kimberley Moran is hosting Poetry Friday this week over at Google+. That's fun! See you there-- here's the link.

8 comments:

Diane Mayr said...

It sounds like a fabulous session. I have many questions about the new media and its place in public libraries.

Donna Smith said...

Have a great trip! It sounds like lots of good stuff is happening. Yours should be a fun session!

Linda B said...

Since I'm now reading "Digital Reading" by Franki Sibberson & Bill Bass, your session would be awesome to see. Hope you enjoy ILA in the summer!

Carol said...

This sounds like a fabulous session! Like Linda, I'm reading DIGITAL LITERACY and learning lots. Sure do wish I was in St Louis this weekend to learn from all of you!

Joy said...

Thanks Sylvia for a thought provoking post. Have fun, sure wish I could attend your session.

Buffy Silverman said...

Your session sounds so interesting (and makes me feel a bit like a dinosaur....but I just downloaded the app from calm.com so I will be a calm dinosaur.)

Linda said...

I wish I could attend your session. There is so much available to us as educators, but it's really hard to keep up.

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. Our session was a hit-- and it really stretched us to think creatively about all kinds of ways to encourage literacy.