Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Learning from students: Cinquains

Here's another example from my adult students sharing poetry with young people in my "learning from my students' students" series. 

Here, Judith got the students involved in PowerPack 5 of Here We Go and they had fun with it.

First, she tried the PowerPlay activity with students.

"Trace the outline of your left hand. Then fill in the area with doodles and drawings that reflect things about you and your wishes for the future."















"Then trace the outline of your right hand and fill in the area with words that reflect things about you and your wishes for the future." [On each finger: Dogs, snakes, cats, lizards, ferrets. On the palm: baker, family, basketball]



Then she created original digital poem postcards for each of the three poems in the PowerPack. Here is a digital postcard for the anchor poem by Margaret Simon.



Then, she shared the response poem the student wrote in relation to the mentor text poem.



Best Friends

My friends
are funny and
make me laugh out loud. They
give me feelings of love and joy
always.

No comments: